As I set out on a walk one sunny afternoon, my mind was nonchalant and my steps were light. It was good to be outdoors again, and even better to be all alone. The demands of motherhood often purge my selfishness in ways that make me want to run away. The glory of a simple walk to ponder a wide open space along a pathway to a duck pond is often what brings refreshment.
This was no ordinary walk. I remember it so clearly now. My eyes caught the sight of a rectangular piece of paper lying there beside the road, and as I approached it, I couldn't believe my eyes. There, lying calmly on the dirt road, was a one hundred dollar bill. I stopped. Could it be real? There it was. I reached down and picked it up, thinking at first that it must be a gospel tract that looked like a bill. It wasn't. I turned it over in my hands and saw that each side looked real. I held it up to the light to look for the strip of paper hidden inside to show it was not counterfeit. It WAS real. No, it couldn't be. This must be a joke. I looked around to see if anyone was watching. Surely, someone must be playing a joke on me and they would come out of the bushes laughing and telling me to give it back. Silence. No one saw what I just found. A new smile came across my face, and I quickly tucked the bill safely into my jacket pocket, close to my chest. Wow! I kept walking.
Mind racing, heart skipping, all of a sudden, I was rich! It was a gift from heaven. Oh, lucky day! I couldn't help but ask, "Why me?" How did that just happen? There was no explanation, just a simple way to receive an extraordinary blessing. Now what? I wondered to myself "What do I do with the money? This must be a test." Ideas of donating the bill to charity ran through my mind, mingled with selfish purchases like new walking shoes or clothing.
As I made it home to my front door, I couldn't wait to share the news. As I told Matt about my "treasure walk", he was amazed too. For many weeks, I kept that bill tucked away until his birthday. I decided to give it to him as a gift that year. My life is so rich with a wonderful marriage of ten years now, and I appreciate that he goes to work so that I may be a full time homemaker and homeschool teacher to our two young boys. He deserves it! It was a joy to finally give it away and consider the truth and teaching of Jesus in Matthew 10:8: "freely you have received, freely give".
I still go on solitary walks along that road, and I must admit that my eyes are often searching the ground for another treasure. As if I am going to find another one hundred dollar bill in the exact same place! There is a part of me that thinks it can happen again the same way that it did on that special day, but that is nonsense. I am learning that God is so creative and involved in every strand of every detail of His creation, and I won't ever figure Him out! He is above my thinking and constantly suprises me. He knows my needs, and He delights in blessing me. Above all, this experience led me to understand that this world has small treasures along its paths, but knowing God intimately is the ultimate treasure, and sharing that everlasting treasure with someone else is the great reward.
What a special find. I feel the same way you do about my husband and the blessing of being a full-time homemaker. Nothing could compare for me - I am glad that you too are able to enjoy such a luxury. You are doing a beautiful thing.
ReplyDelete